Saturday, November 5, 2011

October Loving

Fall is my all time favorite season of the year. Beautiful fall leaves, cooler weather, pumpkin carving, hot chocolate, and the list goes on... I just throughly enjoy the month of October.
One weekend this month, my Aunt and I went on a quick get away to visit our good buddy JH up in Roanoak, VA. We had a blast just hanging out with good ole Johnny Boy and seeing some of the parkway in the Fall while doing a quick "hike".

But another great reason to love October is Halloween. I mean, how many days do adults get to play dress up and it be acceptable? I love seeing all the different costumes people come up with. Some people get really into it and I usually get a good laugh at how far some take it. This year, thanks to my wonderful friend Stacy, I had a great costume idea. Or at least I thought so. See if you can tell what I am... (ps. I'm on the left)
Did you figure it out???
I'm a mail-order bride. It was suppose to be even better because a friend of mine was suppose to dress as a mailman and go with me. However, as what happens most times with men, I was let down and it never happened. Oh well, nice thought. This was my Saturday night costume. On Monday night at work, I dressed up again. This time it was just a simple store bought costume of a cave woman. I had a blast all weekend dressing up.

So, I'll leave you guys with a few fun facts about Halloween. Hope everyone is enjoying fall as much as I am!
  • Orange and black are Halloween colors because orange is associated with the Fall harvest and black is associated with darkness and death.
  • Jack o’ Lanterns originated in Ireland where people placed candles in hollowed-out turnips to keep away spirits and ghosts on the Samhain holiday.
  • Pumpkins also come in white, blue and green. Great for unique monster carvings!
  • Halloween was brought to North America by immigrants from Europe who would celebrate the harvest around a bonfire, share ghost stories, sing, dance and tell fortunes.
  • Tootsie Rolls were the first wrapped penny candy in America.
  • The ancient Celts thought that spirits and ghosts roamed the countryside on Halloween night. They began wearing masks and costumes to avoid being recognized as human.
  • Halloween candy sales average about 2 billion dollars annually in the United States.
  • Chocolate candy bars top the list as the most popular candy for trick-or-treaters with Snickers #1.
  • Halloween is the 2nd most commercially successful holiday, with Christmas being the first.
  • Bobbing for apples is thought to have originated from the roman harvest festival that honors Pamona, the goddess of fruit trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment