Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Diva Half

Seems like all I've been doing lately is running, literally. The past month has consisted of races, but I've had such fun, however, I'm ready for a break next weekend. 
The weekend after my mud run, I had signed up for another race in Myrtle Beach, the Diva Half Marathon. This was my first half marathon, 13.1 miles. Some reasons I picked this for my fist half was because mostly women run in this race and it's not quite as competitive, plus it's at the beach. Initially when I had signed up for it in December, I figured I would have plenty of time to train for it and would be serious about it. All of a sudden April 1st was here and I realized that I was not nearly prepared for it has I had been hoping, but nonetheless I was going to finish it if I had to crawl across the finish line. 
Friday morning before my race, I started to get sick, go figure. After work, Adam, Wade, and I packed up the car and headed towards the beach anyway. I stocked up on medicine once we got down there. 
 
Saturday we woke up, got ready, and headed out to pick up my race packet. At the packet pick up site, there were tons of vendors and women everywhere. After picking up my packet, we headed out for some food and shopping at the outlets. 

Sunday morning came super early considering the race started at 7am. Adam and Wade were such good sports about everything. They woke up early with me and were my paparazzi during the race. I'm a super lucky girl to have those two as friends. 
Drag Queen that was the host of the after party. 
I wasn't feeling my best at the start of the race, but eventually I got into a groove and it wasn't too bad. At mile 6 I kinda got a bit disheartened. Six miles is a good ways to run, and then to realize you're not even half way finished is discouraging. But like I said earlier, I was determined to finish one way or the other. It was empowering to see all the women who were in it (3,000+) and all the support along the way was encouraging as well. 
For those of you who think you can't do it- here's a ten year old that did it! 

After two hours and thirty six minutes, I finally crossed the finish line. It was a great feeling. I've already signed up for another half marathon in October. Who knows, maybe this time I'll actually have trained for it. 
My biggest fans! 

1 comment:

  1. Hey! Has someone forgotten they have a blog and followers?

    ReplyDelete