Monday, September 3, 2012

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

A little late on posting this, but when am I really ever on time with any of my posts?

About a month and a half ago, my friend Stacy and I went up to Boone with the plans of tubing down a river all day. She had gotten a living social deal on renting tubes in which you were to  float down a river on. She had called and asked if we would need to make reservations for a small group. Their response: No. Long story short, after we made the two hour plus drive to get there, they said that that was the only day that month that they were completely booked and that we should have made reservations. Go figure, right?! Determined not to let that hamper our need for adventurous fun, we called/text everyone we knew that lived in Boone or had lived in Boone to give us ideas as to what we could do.... for free (after all, at this time, we were both still broke college students with no jobs). The main response we got: Compression Falls. Did we know how to get there? Absolutely not. So I called my friend Matt, knowing he went there a lot, and with our luck that day, of course he didn't answer. So we made the best of our trip, found a river, and played on the rocks for a few hours. As soon as we got back into town, guess who called back? Matt. Where had he been all day? Compression Falls of course. We decided right then that we would be going back to try again with the tubing, but that we were also going to make an entire weekend of it and have Matt take us to Compressions. Here's from our first trip: 

Seems like every hike in Boone is practically vertical.



 Determined to swim and get my hair wet. 
 Raleigh for the night. 

And for our next trip? We scheduled our next go at Wahoo's (the tubing place) for last weekend. It was the first weekend my little brother Elliott was back at college in Boone, and Matt was able to ask off work. And it ended up being a GREAT weekend, weather wise and everything. We had a blast. Stacy came to Asheboro the night before (and stayed in our newly decorated and painted "guest room") and then we woke up bright and early on Saturday and hit the road. With a quick pick up of Elliott and Matt, we were on the river with our tubes and cooler shortly after twelve. Tubing was a very slow go, and just very relaxing, with the exception of a few "jungle" encounters. 

Even though this angle looks like it, I promise we're not naked. 

That night Matt and I made dinner. Mainly more Matt, but I'd like to take a little credit for helping. Steaks, baked potatoes, green beans, and grilled veggie skewers. YUM
Our romantic dinner by candle light. 

Sunday morning, I was woken up bright and early by Matt asking me if I wanted to go for a "run". As I like to run, and I had actually packed my tennis shoes, I was up for his proposal. However   trail terrain/ tree roots/rocks/swamps/mud puddles etc., five miles and two hours later, I realized I should have declined his offer. But I'm glad I did it and I did have fun doing it, regardless of all the complaining that may or may not have taken place. 
Once we got back to his apartment, it was time to get ready to head out to Compression Falls. It's about thirty minutes outside of Boone, just over the Tennessee border. If this place hadn't been talked up so much, I doubt I would have wanted to make the treck to go see for myself. It was seriously, one of the most vertical descents I think I've ever made. The "sit on your butt and scoot down method" ended up being my method of choice for getting to the bottom. But, what goes down, must return up. Or at least in this scenario unfortunately. But enough of the descent, Compression falls was SUPER cool and awesome. We hiked to the top, jumped off near one of the waterfalls and then slid off the big drop. SOO much fun! 

Compression Falls
Conquerers of the Falls
Almost to the top! 

So even though our first weekend didn't pan out as anticipated, God had a much better weekend in store for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment