Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Barbre Children Curse

Our entire family has never been musically gifted. I've known this for years, which is most likely why none of us were ever in the band or chorus. I used to stand beside momma at church and listen to her sing, so I knew we didn't receive golden vocal chords from her. I guess my first realization of not actually being able to sing a note myself, came when my middle school friend, Catherine Jones, informed me that I had no rhythm and couldn't sing either. From then on it's just kinda been a good laugh for me to, I guess you'd say, yell words. I kid you not, I can't even clap to the beat. Many friends have also pointed out over the years that not only can we not carry a tune, but when we do attempt to sing along with a song, we're always at least one second early of the actual song. But what's worse than that, half the time we don't know all the lyrics, so we just kinda mumble/hum along until we know more of the words. Which, just a side note, in some songs it's very difficult to understand what the lyrics actually are to sing along to. For instance, Benny and the Jets. I'm sure some of you have seen that scene in 27 dresses, so you know what I'm talking about. Anywho, our musical disdain is really quite comical, and this weekend while Elliott and I were little songbirds, I got a good chuckle out of our curse. Unfortunately for us, you will never see us winning American Idol, sorry America.

No comments:

Post a Comment