Thursday, January 12, 2012

What does it mean to be a Christian?

Websters definition of Christian is: exhibiting a spirit proper to a follower of Jesus Christ; Christlike. But what does it mean to be a Christian?
Last year I decided that I wanted to read the bible in a year. With my good friend, Kristyn, as my accountability partner, our goal as of January 1st is to read it in chronological order in a years time. Does this make me a Christian? Nope. Anyone can read the bible.
One of my new years resolutions, after constantly being surrounded by this spiteful girl at work, was to be a nicer person. I thought, maybe if I'm nice to her, she'll come around. Does being a nice person make me a Christian? Nope. There's lots of nice people out there who don't know Christ.
Another one of my new years goals is to try to remember to tithe. Does tithing make me a Christian? Nope.
Does going to church every Sunday or listening to K-Love in the car make someone a Christian? Nope.
Currently we're in the book of Job. In the pre-notes section I came across this sentence today and it really made me think. "We cannot have truth about God divorced from the mind of God."
Then tonight I came across this video being shared all over Facebook. It's only four minutes and definitely worth the watch.
So, while I've been a believer most of my life, my relationship with God hasn't been all that great. I slip and stumble more than I'd like too. I'm working on it though. God keeps opening my eyes to different things each day. So whoever you are, take time today when you read this, to say a prayer for me and my walk as a Christian.

1 comment:

  1. Loved this video. Shared this with others. Told them you were Tony's Daughter. I'm Jessi's aunt. Went to GC with Tony!!

    ReplyDelete