Thursday, September 4, 2014

Thankful Thursday

As most of you know, I was laid off from my full time job as a Radiation Therapist back in February of this year. It was hard on me. I used to work two (at one point three) jobs and had never been fired or let go. The day I was actually let go I was planning on looking at a house, so of course I was upset. Thankfully, I was still working my part time job that I've had since I was sixteen and there's also the fact that I still live with my parents so I didn't have any major bills. As much as I hated to lose my job, I was glad it happened to me instead of one of the other girls there that have children and bills to consider.
Since being laid off I took to working more at Biscuitville until my severance pay ran out and I was able to draw unemployment (I actually made more drawing unemployment that working a full week at Biscuitville). I applied to any radiation therapist job that I could find- even one at a Federal Prison in Raleigh! I was desperate to do something, anything. After I ran out of therapy jobs to apply to, I started looking for ANY job. Sitting at home all week was starting to drive me nuts!
Then one day I got a call from a lady at Cone Health. I had applied to Moses Cone Hospital the day after being laid off and had an interview for a PRN position there, but they decided not to hire for the position a little while later. However, my information and resume was forwarded to Alamance Regional Hospital for a full time position. I was thrilled to have the opportunity for this job! After many interviews and prayers for God's will, I thought for sure I was going to get it.
I got a call last Tuesday (and boy was I ecstatic, because if it was bad news I probably would have gotten an e-mail) and they informed me that they had hired someone else for the full time position but wanted to offer me the PRN position. For those of you not familiar with PRN, basically it means "as needed". It isn't guaranteed any hours and benefits aren't included, you're basically just filling in for vacations, maternity leave, etc. Reluctantly I took it, I mean, I'm not going to lie, I was REALLY bummed. I wanted full time. I wanted benefits. I wanted a steady source of income.
And then I got to thinking...
I should be thankful! I have a job doing what I love. I mean, I prayed for Gods will, and then I'm going to complain about it? I might not see it now, but He's got a greater plan in store for me. So for now, I'll take this job and be grateful. After all, I was looking for ANY job to begin with.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad it worked out for you to at least get your foot in the door! They'll be lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete