Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Chasing Tornados

Seems like everywhere I go, I'm followed by some sort of horrible weather or bizarre events. Example: I go down to Jacksonville/Wilmington in the middle of a monsoon/flood to move furniture. I go to visit the Big Island of Hawaii and a week later the volcano is going crazy, spitting lava up everywhere. Or how about the tsunami warning?
Well what would happen this weekend when I had plans to go down to the coast for the weekend for my interview? Oh no big deal... just the worst storms that we've seen in two decades. Of course I would be right in the middle of a series of tornados. By the time I left work, the rain had stopped in Asheboro. Unfortunately, that was NOT the case as I headed East. Pouring down rain -so hard that everyone was driving 35, was the case by the time I reached Siler City. By the time I got to Raleigh, I was beginning to see some signs of destruction. Blown over trees and huge highway signs -by this point I was beginning to get a bit worried. Not to mention every time I changed the radio station I heard something along the lines of "You should seek shelter immediately. Do not seek shelter underneath a by-pass. Get down in a low lying area or ditch and cover yourself from flying debris." Then somehow I ended up passing all the tornados and they then decided to follow me. Everywhere on the map that I had just passed, or close to it, seemed to be the spot where they were hitting next. By the time I reached Oriental to stay with my dear friend Katie Bunch, I was ready to stay put. The short walk from the car to inside almost picked me up and blew me away. Thankfully the next morning I awoke to a clear and beautiful sky. I'm sure everyone has seen and heard of all the devastation from this storm series, but if not you can click here and also check out some of the photos below.



No comments:

Post a Comment