Thursday, April 21, 2011

Technology

At what point did we let technology start thinking for us? I suppose a good response for this would be calculators. I can't tell you how many people out there can't do simple addition and subtraction without a calculator. But since I was never one of those people, I reckon that I let technology start thinking for me when I got a GPS. Seemed like a good idea at the time. It was tax-free weekend, I didn't have one, I traveled a lot, therefore I threw it in the cart. However, after this experience and a few other ones, I believe it would have been better to stick with mapquest and my instincts. I'm not sure if anybody else's GPS has ever driven them through water, but this is what it looks like:
Now just to clarify this picture, my car is not actually underwater at the moment. I do have more sense than that. So here is the story:

After staying the night at my friends the other night, I was going to meet my G-parents at church in Swansboro. Having never been to Swansboro from Oriental, my friend looked up the driving time on her phone so I wouldn't be late. According to her, it was only about a 45min drive, max. So I leave the house a little after 10. What does my GPS say when I enter the address of the church? That I'm going to arrive a little after 11:00. So thinking I have to make time, I RUSH down the road. And I rush some more, all to find out that I would be waiting for a ferry! So not only did I have to wait 15 minutes for a ferry but then I had an additional 20 minutes for the ferry ride. By the time I FINALLY got to church, it was 11:50. Needless to say, I pretty much missed the sermon that morning. But on the plus side, I got to experience ferry life. I can't remember ever riding a ferry, although I'm positive we probably did when I was younger. But the moral of this story is, I'm fed up with my GPS and the long and crazy routes it takes me to get from point A to B.

No comments:

Post a Comment