Monday, August 4, 2014

Whooops

By now ya'll should know that I can't cook. Giving myself some credit, I can throw chicken in a pan and bake pasta too. Simple things, I don't make fancy creations at all. So the other day I was needing to make some meals to prepare for the coming week. My friend Lily had posted a picture of her meal prep and I saw she had some mashed up yams. Being a big fan of sweet potatoes (I think yams and sweet potatoes are fairly similar) I thought it'd be a good idea to make this. I'd been wanting to have some in bulk anyways to able to grab and go if needed- cooking a sweet potato takes too much time each night and can get expensive. So I picked up two big yams at the store and asked my friend Lily how she made hers. Lily told me that she just boiled them.
Looking back on this, I can't help but to laugh. It shows how much I know about being in a kitchen. I was just going to throw the two yams, skin and all, in a pot and boil them. However, there isn't a pot big enough in our house that my yams would fit in... so I took them to Wades where there was one. Threw both yams whole, skin and all, in the pot and the water started to boil. Meanwhile I was looking up "how to cook a yam" on my phone and realized that maybe I was suppose to peel the skin first. I text Lily to ask her what she had done. Turns out I was suppose to peel the yams, cut them into pieces and let them boil- like making mashed potatoes. DUH
It was quite the ordeal taking them out of the already boiling water, peeling them, cutting them into small pieces, and then dumping them back into the boiling water. However, in the end, I did it! Lesson learned for next time.

1 comment: