Monday, July 28, 2014

No FOMO

FEAR OF MISSING OUT 

Wade and I watched an episode of  Mac Miller and the Most Dope Family the other night. For those who aren't familiar with this show, it's a 'reality' show about the rapper, Mac Miller. While I think he's a bit out there, as are most celebrities, he made a good point on this episode. 
Basically, he was saying that people have this FOMO disease and are constantly on their phones and on social media. They have a fear that they're gonna miss out on something, but in reality, they're missing out on whats going on around them in the present. He ended up taking his friends on a camping trip without their phones for the weekend. 
I've thought the same thing for awhile, but admit I've been one of those people. With technology, new apps, games, social media, etc., it's easy to get caught up in that. Recently I deactivated my Facebook account. It's one of the BEST things I've done. I would find that, out of boredom, I was just scrolling through and checking to see what everyone was doing/posting. I realized that I didn't care what people were complaining about at that moment or what they were eating/doing. Seldom did I see good, positive, uplifting posts (maybe that's saying something about my friends on Facebook?). I will admit that it is a good way to keep in touch with people you may not see often and at times I did like to see engagements or baby announcements. However, I think I'm better off without it. 
I guess what I'm trying to say with this blog is that I think it's sad to see what our society is coming to. I heard a statistic the other day that said we are now spending twice as long dining out at restaurants than what we used to ten years ago. It's not due to slower wait staff or longer cooking times, it's due to smart phones and social media. If you can't go out to dinner, and enjoy the company that you're with enough to leave your phone alone, somethings wrong.
So here's my bit to try and help our growing problem: I'm going to attempt to not use my phone after 7pm to check Instagram, e-mails or play games and to leave my phone in the car while going to dinner. Maybe others will take Mac Millers advice and try to change their habits. 

I found this photo and thought it was appropriate.

Happy Monday! 
Go smile at someone!




1 comment:

  1. I used to love Mac Miller...then he went a little weird but I do love this point!

    ReplyDelete