Thursday, March 3, 2011

Just Google It

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like Americans, and the rest of the world for that matter, are becoming less and less umm... intelligent? I'm not pointing out specific people by any means, but the term "just google it" has literally become a part of everyday conversations. Not only that, but Americans can't seem to grasp the whole concept of their/they're/there use either. Many situations that keep presenting themselves are leading me to believe that as a society, we're giving up on our own intelligence and relying on other means to help us out.

The other night, while watching The Amazing Race, teams were given many different clues in which they had to figure things out to get to the next stop in the race. I'm assuming that the teams are not allowed any sort of computer or telephone because at least three instances that I can remember, they asked a random person on the street or nearby, that had internet access, to help them out. As a matter of fact, while in the process of writing this blog, I have looked up an address, a movie title and how to spell a word. I remember in school how some teachers were anti-calculator because they said we needed to be able to do things with our own brain and not a computers. What if we didn't have access to a computer, or for that matter, didn't have internet on our phones? Society has made it so simple to become complete idiots. Without the red squiggly line at the bottom of words, I would be lost when attempting to use big words I only think I know.

Which leads me to one of my biggest pet peeves: horrible grammar. It literally sends chills down my back when I'm constantly reading other peoples things where they have used some sort of bad grammar. Wether it be no commas or periods, or the wrong form of a word, whatever it is, I can't stand it. Now everyone is allowed a few mistakes here and there. I know I'm far from perfect, but come on! Reading different things on Facebook or text messages, I'm honestly baffled that some of these people were allowed to graduate high school. I get the whole shorthand that people have picked up too, sure lets save time and energy and type as few letters as possible and hope the other person reading this understands what I'm suppose to be saying. And what is up with people typing like this: im @lw@yzzzzzz fin3? That took me longer to actually type. I give props to whomever types that way because it is definitely more complicated and more of a thought process is involved, but it looks stupid.

All I'm saying is that if things keep going the way they are, which I'm sure they will with our high tech phones that know more than we do, that our children will be graduating high school believing their name is spelled M3g@n and that google has the answer to all your problems. Ok enough ranting, I have a massage bright and early in the morning. Toodles ya'll (this last sentence is entirely underlined in red squiggles just so you know).

No comments:

Post a Comment