Monday, February 7, 2011

Open Airplane Doors

So part of me starting a blog was to be able to share my traveling adventures, and not just in Hawaii either. Therefore, I'll share about one of my latest adventures: Skydiving.


Skydiving 101
What in the world provoked me to wanna go skydiving you might ask? The answer: Matt Williams. I have always wanted to go, and after seeing a friends pictures from her jump, the urge grew even more, and I determined I would do it within the next five years. After spending one random evening with Mr. Williams, I informed him of this desire. His response: "I've always wanted to do that. Let's do it!"

After spending a few hours giddily talking about it and researching places to jump, and of course the statistics on not surviving, we were dead set to jump within the next week or so. I booked a place on the other side of Raleigh and couldn't wait til the day came! Our very good friend, Kristyn Flinchum came along for the viewing. We needed someone to be our emergency contact. After-all, in the event that we didn't make it, someone had to drive my car home, right?
After signing literally an entire packets worth of papers that was our "waiver form", we were ready for action. However, due to some recent weather conditions, they weren't ready for us. About an hour and a half later of sitting/sleeping, they called our name for a training session. This training lesson was practically given to us while we were strapping into our jumpsuits and it went something like this: "Hang like this when we jump (quick demonstration was shown), hold onto your straps until I tap your shoulders indicating it's ok to let go of your arms, wear these goggles if you are wearing contacts. Ok we're ready." And out towards the plane we all piled. The ride to our jumping spot took the longest part of the whole ordeal, literally. Being a classy lady, I went first. Believe it or not, but I didn't scream one word. I said I wasn't, but I didn't think I was actually not going to. However, with all that wind hitting you at once, it's kinda hard to do anything but concentrate on breathing. The fifty seconds or so that it took to fall flew by so fast. Next thing I knew the guy on my back had already pulled the chute and we were floating down to land.

It was everything I had imagined it would be, and I would definitely do it again. Check out the video at the end.





*Just for the record, I never felt him tap my shoulders, which is why it looks like I was afraid to let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment